SAMPLE RESEARCH JUSTIFICATION
YEAR ONE INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH STUDIES
Research Topic: Mutual Respect
Chosen Area of Focus: Do teachers and students have equal understanding?
- Framing our research topic
Our chosen area of focus is “Do teachers and students have equal understanding?
Framing our research topic”. We have chosen this topic as most of us were taught
that respect was something that was earned throughout your life by treating other people as kind as you would treat yourself.Respect keeps us mindful and makes us remember to show proper appreciation toward others and toward things. Though sometimes, parents and teachers say that we do not treat seniors with sufficient respect. And we can’t help but agree that sometimes we feel that some people do not treat each other with the respect that they deserve. We respect our seniors not only because they are older than us, but because of those in authority in our life respect keeps us mindful that they are in the position they are for our benefit (to help us). Respect thus moves us to cooperate with their effort to help us by carefully listening to them and considering what they have to say or to ask of us. But on the other hand, there may be people who don’t respect them, scoffing at a teacher's right to request them to do the things necessary for the sake of keeping his or her classroom free of hindrances to teaching and learning is an example of extreme disrespect for their authority. By principle we owe respect to the position a teacher or authority figure occupies. A person down the street however, who has no real authority given him over us must earn our respect.
- Possible reasons for problems related to respect would be that students think very highly of themselves and think that they are better than most other people surrounding them, preferring to be respected than to respect. When asked to give equal respect they laugh at the person, thinking that they have no rights to command them when in fact they are the ones in the wrong.
- However, those in authority generally sees one who resists listening to them or cooperating with them as disrespectful. However, refusing to cooperate with an authority figure is not really disrespect if you have given them fair hearing and are basing your refusal upon sound moral/ethical issues that violate your conscience. It should be noted though that any such refusal should be done with a calm and respectful attitude for the position they occupy. And unless it is a serious conscience matter good will ought to be displayed by showing a willingness to explore the matter further with them if necessary.
c) Many people think that respect is a quality seriously lacking in today's society. It means valuing each others points of views. It means being open to being wrong. It means accepting people as they are. It means not dumping on someone because you're having a bad day. It means being polite and kind always, because being kind to people is not negotiable. It means not disliking people because they're different to you. It means not gossiping about people or spreading lies. It means to treat people in the manner in which you expect to be treated. To show consideration for another person's feelings and interests. An attitude demonstrating that you value another person. You should treat your friends with respect. It is an exclamation used to indicate your admiration/respect for someone. Something everyone expects, but few have willingness to show!Self-centeredness is typically viewed as the most unappealing personality trait in a potential friend or partner. Most of us struggle to maintain a sense of compassion and understanding toward others. Self-centered people, on the other hand, don’t bother to take the time to understand another person’s point-of-view or feelings. It is reported that cultures that emphasize individualism, such as America, fail at being able to infer another person’s perspective. Cultures that emphasize interdependence, on the other hand, like those in Asia, are easily able to put themselves in the shoes of others and be more empathetic.Young people today do not show the same amount of concern that youth of past generations expressed for the state of their country or for current affairs that either directly effect (or will soon directly effect) them and their loved ones. Self caring means that you have concern for others, but not at the expense of yourself. Those of today’s generation have taken it to an unprecedented level and seem to take pride in being self-centered and for caring only about their needs and wants.
- Reasons for choice of topic
- We have chosen this topic, as we want to find out more about how respect affects a person’s attitude when he is talking to someone.
- This allows us to fulfill the requirements of the project task as the project task looks at respect from a senior and junior perspective, which is also what we will be doing.
- This topic benefits society as people will know the amount of basic respect every person deserves and when or when not to talk back to a person for disrespecting them.
- This research will also make the class environment more conducive because if we know the opinions of the students,we will know whether they deserve the same respect as teachers and this knowledge will help to improve ties between students and teachers.This knowledge will useful to decide if students deserve the respect and by giving them that much respect, they will behave better in class.
- Feasibility of the research
- There is a need for our research, as many people do not know who deserves their respect and who doesn’t deserve it. Whether they should respect or be respected.
- It is possible to carry out and complete the project, as there are many students in the school that we can survey on and interview since most people know the basics of respect.
- The proposed course of action is logical and realistic as it can be completed with the help of some students who would be willing to do a survey and with our hard work and group effort as respect is not a hard topic.
- The research provides sufficient opportunity for generation of ideas, as we will constantly have to think of ways to do certain things in the project. As for analysis and evaluation of ideas, we will certainly have many opportunities to analyse information and evaluate ideas on how to go about deciding what to do next.
- Manageability of the research
- The timeline for the different components of the project will be decided later based on the situation then. But overall, the project will be done as quickly and carefully as we can, trying our best not to go out of point and staying as close to the topic as possible.
- We will do as much as we can as long as the stuff that we are doing is within our means.We can research on the topics and we can also spend more time on this project by interviewing students and teachers but we will also spend time on other works and do our time management well.
- This research provides sufficient opportunity for group work as we will need to discuss a lot of matters regarding the project, for example who will be assigned to do what component of the project and we will have to work together.
- We will definitely face a couple of problems along the way including miss communications but we can and we will be able to solve it. If we have any stuff that we do not know we can search wiki answers or ask on an online forums.
- Accessibility of the information required
- Information/knowledge that will be relevant to our research would be the amount teachers or seniors they greet throughout the day.
- We will be obtaining this information from primary and secondary sources, depending on which one gives more reliable and useful information.
- Some alternatives that we have thought of would be to ask others for information or where can we find the information that we need from the internet.
- Some problems we anticipate while gathering my materials would be that the information that we can find is not entirely relevant to our project and that that is already the closest piece of information among all others that we have found.
- We will send the surveys to the whole students cohort(all the four levels) and the teachers.And we will see if they have the same opinions and the most often opinion said will be research into further.